Monday, June 6, 2011

Catch Up

Run - June 5th

33 minutes - 3.4 miles, 9:42 minute miles - that pace for the 10 K would be under 60 minutes - which honestly I'd be happy with after the swim and bike!

Ughhh... totally sucked wind for the first 23 minutes, felt better for about 7 minutes and then struggled the last 3.

Might have been the root beer I had for dinner 45 minutes before my run. Done with carbonated soda for a while! I'm not going to say not until the race - but at least not within 3 hours of when I'm going to exercise.

Bike - June 4, 2011

I biked to work and then to my inlaws. 16.5 miles total - no idea on the time - didn't reset the bike computer. Remembered why the first ride is nice - no butt pain yet. Definitely feeling bruised on the saddle and figure it will be another 10 rides before it doesn't hurt so bad. I'm messing with my schedule to make it easier for us - since we only have the one car I will use my work days as my bike days - so back to Loveland on the bike Monday.

Sore - June 3rd

Think I tweeked a muscle in my groin swimming yesterday - thought I would be better to wait a day than push it and have to take more time off. Plan to ride tomorrow. Not really sticking to my schedule - but at least I'm going at it.


Mini Swim Lessons - June 2

I went to the Fort Collins Senior Center and got a 10 pass for the time we are in N. Colorado this summer. Thought I better go ahead and commit the money so I'll actually commit the time in the following weeks. Swimming is by far my most technically challenging event of the triathlon. I grew up with swimming lessons each summer, I enjoy surfing and playing in the water - but have never found swimming to be a way I want to exercise. I can nearly count on my fingers how many times I've been in the pool strictly for exercise. I know my breast stroke is my most sustainable stroke but that I'm indeed a bit faster at the crawl. I went into this evening thinking I needed to work on my crawl so that I can do more of the race in it...

I started my work out by going down in breast stroke and coming back with the crawl - it felt okay but not great. After 15 minutes of this I took a break and the life guard asked how it was going and huffing I said - "ahh I don't know." After some small talk I ended up asking if he would take a look and advise. He said my crawl looked fine, but can I sustain that speed - I answered no way. He gave me some pointers on my breast stroke on how to make it more energy efficient. Super helpful. He said he thinks I should stick with the breast stroke and maybe throw in some crawl when it makes sense, as my breast stroke is almost as fast as my crawl. So then I did several more laps of breast stroke and 2 laps of crawl and confirmed that making my breast stroke stronger might be the best route. I feel like I'm going to sink after being tired to start with and then doing 100 m of crawl! Then I did 200 m of breast stroke without hardly feeling tired. Will be interesting to see what ends up being my best bet!

So I swam 15 minutes straight then for about the next 20 minutes intermittently.

No comments:

Post a Comment